Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

GETTING TOO OLD

I remember decades ago when we used to go to our rest house in one of the provinces in the south of Manila, Batangas. It was actually inherited by my Grands from Greatgrands that have always loved nature at its best. How I miss waking up with the smell of moist earth and grass; hearing the chirping of different kinds of birds and sounds of farm animals (and frogs and crickets at night); and feeling the heady excitement of everyone being outside the city. Each one seems to be another person transformed. Gone were the ties and suits my male relatives wear on their way to work, or the perfectly made-up faces and stiletto’s of the female...and in exchange were faded jeans, cut-off’s or shorts and casual shirts.

On the balcony I stop to observe them before grabbing my hat to join the fun-filled day of unusual activities. I see an uncle with an ax or a long big knife (“itak”) by the far end looking over the bamboo fence for any need of his care, a grandmother (we’re of the generation with early marriages so they actually are more like an aunt and uncles, and my aunt’s and uncle’s like mere cousins) with pair of sheers trimming flower beds, male cousins strap-in with saw blade intent on cutting ankle high grasses, female cousins picking vegetables and fruits in the nearby garden, nephews and nieces just running around or peeking at what the adults were doing and some oldies but goodies under the tree sipping hot chocolate. An overnight stay usually is not enough to feel the content of being outdoor, but it’s not easy living behind one’s responsibility at work. 3 days is the most that we stayed and how I long to do that again with the clan. Unfortunately, those Grandparents we used to go with cannot anymore. The years caught up with them already, and some even passed away.

I wonder when again can I see that sight from the balcony…though maybe that time, it will be another kid seeing me sip hot chocolate under the tree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

some nostalgia there eh, haven't i seen some scenes like that in 'pangako sayo', BTW nobody's getting too old for anything, just drive there and sip your hot chocolate under the tree, not coffee? take yr trip down memory lane Jen......

Laura E. Sanchez said...

I also wonder a lot about the places I used to go when I was younger in my natal Cuba, it brings me really nice memories, now that I am far away I always try to remember my country with joy

"http://lesanchez.blogspot.com"

FAVE READS

PERSONALLY DISCLOSING…

I am personally disclosing that this blog is written by me and only me; and all posts inclusive since 16 June 2009. Content is of personal opinion, view, belief and knowledge but ensures honesty and fairness. In the event that you have questions or reactions, as some topics may present conflict of interest, feel free to let me know by sending a message at jeniortizxv@gmail.com. As in other policies, “any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question”. This blog accepts different forms of compensation, like that of cash advertising, sponsorship or paid insertions; though may not always be revealed or visibly apparent.
 
ss_blog_claim=0c03722281101b57b8a4a57dbcea7a8a ss_blog_claim=0c03722281101b57b8a4a57dbcea7a8a